CleanUp! 4.5 Beta 5 release

For discussion about the latest beta software for CleanUp! 4.5. Since this beta test program is now over, this forum has been locked. It will be kept here for a short time for reference purposes.

CleanUp! 4.5 Beta 5 release

Postby sgould » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:11 pm

The CleanUp! 4.5 Beta 5 release is now available for download from:

http://cleanup.stevengould.org/beta.html

Please note that this page is not accessible from the main CleanUp! web site, so you must use the above link.

For a complete list of What's New with this release, refer to:

http://cleanup.stevengould.org/WhatsNew45.html

Please take a few moments to review this.

Changes since CleanUp! 4.5 Beta 4 release:
* Added initial support for Real Player and Quick Time media player - suggested by riserman.
* Removed the "Scan drives for temporary files" checkbox from the General tab under Options; also added a warning explaining its use when the option is enabled. [Hopefully these two things will reduce the "problems" associated with misconfiguring this functionality.]
* Modified About dialog to refer to these forums instead of the old Yahoo! discussion list.
* Bug fix: Under Windows XP and using Office 2003, it should now be safe to select the "Scan drives for temporary files" option with the file specification "*.BAK" included. [Previously this would cause problems for users of Windows XP and Office 2003 whereby they would be prompted to insert the Office 2003 installation CD.]
* Bug fix: Fixed problem where some (valid) directory names were showing up in the Custom Files, Add dialog but were not being permitted by the dialog validation.

Feedback
To help keep track of feedback and possible bugs, please post any questions, comments or feedback regarding this beta release to the CleanUp! 4.5 Beta forum and not to any of the other forums. Please be sure to specify what beta version you are using if/when you post any questions/comments/feedback.

Thanks,

Steven Gould
Author of Windows CleanUp!
http://cleanup.stevengould.org/
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TechRose » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:24 pm

This is ok now...it downloaded, but this is what was happening at the time!

Every time I have clicked on either of two links..the file is 186k and when I try to run it I get an error message.

Incorrect Size

U;\clean up! 4.5 beta 5\download file\cleanup45b5.exe.
Actual size is 191005 bytes, but should be 338721bytes. Download the setup again.

There are two links on the page. Both gave the same results.

Aha! The 10th time was a charm! Perhaps this happened as many folks were tyring to download this at the same time.

By the way..... after

476 runs I have Deleted 897,917 and Bytes Freed were 65.5 GB!

Yup! I run this quite often....haha!

Thanks so much,
Rose
Las Vegas
TechRose

beta 4.5

Postby colbison » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:19 pm

any idea when the final release of cleanup 4.5 will become available?
colbison

4.5 beta and 64bis microprocesseor

Postby pkelly » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:55 pm

does this new beta version work on a 64bits processor !!!!!
pkelly

Difference in items cleaned between Demo & real

Postby kd5 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:58 pm

Demo Mode showed 117mb were to be cleaned, but when I ran it for real, it only cleaned 4mb of files. What's up with that?

Running XP Home, IE6 sp1, all updates. -kd5-
kd5

Can't edit previous post, so...

Postby kd5 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:17 pm

Improvements in speed over 4.0 are most definitely appreciated. Because I "Fully erase files, wipe clean", each run with 4.0 was taking 5 min. (sometimes longer) to complete. Went back to 3.1.2 because of that. Now, 4.5 beta5 seems to run quickly and efficiently, but my prior post/concern remains valid. Why would Demo Mode report 117mb of files were going to be removed, but only 4mb were actually removed in the real run? Settings between the 2 modes did not change. -kd5-
kd5

Postby kd5 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:36 pm

GF tried it on her ME machine, Demo Mode reported 64mb of junk would be removed, yet the actual run only produced 6.9mb of junk files. -kd5-
kd5

Request for Desktop Icon After Installation.

Postby sebastian237 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:00 am

Love this program, My repair shop installs this on every pc we work on.
On the final realease of 4.5 can you have the program put a desktop shortcut to the program?
sebastian237

When will the final release of this be?

Postby muavecm » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:41 pm

When will the final release of this be? I had to reformat my computer because i was stupid enough to go and download some things off the internet so i just reinstalled it on my computer. I can't be with out it.
I also put it on my husbands computer. We both love it! I have friends that are looking for a good cleaner for their computer but are cautious of downloading Beta versions. Just wondering when they can get the final release so they can download it.
:D
muavecm

Wanna know how good it is?

Postby muavecm » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:44 pm

I cleaned 64.5 MB off my computer in 1 run. After reformating my computer.
muavecm

Speed of completion

Postby kd5 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:36 am

Nix my previous statement about speed of 4.5, b5 completion. Even though it's faster than 4.0, it still takes longer to complete than I'm willing to wait. Went back to 3.1.2, I'm hoping the final release of 4.5 picks up some speed.

Love Cleanup!, been using it for years. Keep up the good work Steven... :wink: -kd5-
kd5

Postby Hutch555 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:07 am

I use this utility quite extensively in my day-to-day business. It's great, handy and best of all, thorough. I do notice that version 4.5 beta 5 is a little to thorough only in the following instance I am reluctant now to use it on PC's that have HP all-in-ones installed, as after I run CleanUp, I get an Installer window prompting me to install the HP drivers. I'm not sure what it strips out during the CleanUp, and I'm equally not sure what HP is requesting I reinstall. I do know that I have to uninstall completely all HP drivers relating to the MFC (all-in-one) and reinstall the suite entirely.

I just wanted to let all and Steven know that this is now the only issue I have struck while using this version.

In closing, thanks Steven. Fine work. Donation will definately have to roll your way. :)
Hutch555

Return to CleanUp! 4.5 Beta