Suggestions for 4.5v

For discussion about the latest beta software for CleanUp! 4.5. Since this beta test program is now over, this forum has been locked. It will be kept here for a short time for reference purposes.

Suggestions for 4.5v

Postby ghingy » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:02 pm

Hi, just want to say I love this software! I like to give some input for the 4.5 development if i could.

I noticed that with the 4.0v, cleanup! doesn't remove the files in Java Cache folder. Some of the stuff in this cache could be Trojan Horse and it would be nice to remove clean this folder as well. Also, after using Cleanup!, i usually try and run CCleaner to remove some remaining stuff Cleanup! missed. It would be nice if some of the stuff CCleaner picks up could be incorporated into Cleanup! 4.5 as well such as .log and .bak files in Spybot Search and Destroy folders.

Cheers! :D
ghingy

Java Cache folde

Postby David May » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:11 pm

Hi Ghingy

You may not realize that you can target the Java Cache folder and any other specific folders in Cleanup options/Custom Directories and Files.

Cheers - Dave UK
David May
Active - 10 posts
Active - 10 posts

Postby ghingy » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:55 pm

Hi Dave!

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I have tried that but strangely, Cleanup! would not let me specify the folders beyond C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Sun.

The directory I want to target is C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache", and the target filetype I want to get ride for this directory only is *.*class and *.*idx. If there is any Trojan Virus, it is usually residing in this directory.

Anyway, when I just select C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Sun as the directory, I get an error message stating "Invalid Directory given as a custom directory".

If you could, would you mind trying to see if you could specify the folder mentioned above in your filters? Btw, I'm using Cleanup! 4.0

Thanks again mate! :D
ghingy

Sun\Java\Deployment\cache

Postby David May » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:33 am

Hi Ghingy

Yes it works fine for me.

However, to stop the Cleanup error message "Invalid Dirctory....." you are getting, first make certain that the files you want to target actually exist in the folder, if not make some dummy ones (a few jpg files are suitable and rename their extensions to the ones you wish to remove).

My path is as follows..........

C:\Documents and Settings\David May\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\*.idx

Also notice the backslash just before the wildcard *.idx

Let me know if it works, cheers - Dave UK
David May
Active - 10 posts
Active - 10 posts

Postby ghingy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:55 am

Hey Dave,

The method you explained worked brilliantly! I now added this to the filter Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\*.*

Thanks a lot for your patience!

Darren
ghingy

Postby David May » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:00 am

Great Darren - Nice to been of help, Cheers - Dave UK
David May
Active - 10 posts
Active - 10 posts

Re: Suggestions for 4.5v

Postby sgould » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:38 am

ghingy wrote:I noticed that with the 4.0v, cleanup! doesn't remove the files in Java Cache folder. Some of the stuff in this cache could be Trojan Horse and it would be nice to remove clean this folder as well.

Thanks for the input. I am listening to/reading all the feedback I'm getting. It's just that it usually takes sometime for me to respond.

I'm just looking at a Windows 2000 machine here and have the following directories under the ...\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache directory you mentioned:
Code: Select all
javapi\v1.0\ext\   <-- empty folder
javapi\v1.0\file\  <-- contains 160 files, all *.class, *.idx, *.gif or *.jpg
javapi\v1.0\jar\   <-- contains 68 files, all *.jar or *.idx
javapi\v1.0\tmp\   <-- empty folder

Is this something like your setup? So, is it safe to delete all these files (i.e. everything under the cache directory)? Can the folders themselves be deleted too? In other words, are they recreated when they are next needed?

Any additional information you can give will help me generalize this and possibly include it in CleanUp! 4.5. :-D

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to CleanUp! 4.5 Beta