Cleaning up after spam attack

General announcements (read-only)

Cleaning up after spam attack

Postby sgould » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:15 pm

For anyone who tried to visit the forums in the last 2-3 weeks they will have noticed a large amount of spam. I've just spend - wasted really - several hours cleaning up their mess. In order to simplify this I ended up having to delete all posts and user account created after 18 November, 2009 (which is when the spam started).

As a result, anyone that may have genuinely signed up with the forums and/or posted a genuine message on or after that date will have to do so again. Your original sign up or post has been deleted. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused anyone.

Additionally I have put in place addition restrictions on the forums. For example, I have limited the number of posts any user can make to one every 3 hours or so (9999 seconds actually). Again, sorry for any inconvenience this causes. I wish there were a way to block spammers that did not inconvenience regular users, though any solution I've come across introduces more hassle/trouble for the genuine users that this forum was set up to serve.

Sincerely,

Steven Gould
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Announcements